Flight cancellation can be a very risky task if you are unaware of the process. There are many airlines that have complex rules and charge a hefty amount for canceling a flight. However, when it comes to British Airways, you can relax. The British Airways cancellation policy is traveler-centric and lets flyers cancel their tickets comfortably.
In this blog, we will be covering the following:
- Key Points of British Airways ticket cancellation
- How to cancel the BA flight?
- Cancellation fees.
- British Airways ticket refund.
So, let’s get started.
Key Points of British Airways Cancellation Policy
Check out the key norms before canceling the British Airways flight.
- British Airways allows travelers to cancel all flights that they operate.
- In the case of a codeshare flight, the flight segment under BA will adhere to the British Airways ticket cancellation policy.
- However, tickets are eligible for cancellation if they are booked through the official platforms of British Airways.
- A traveler can cancel refundable and no-refundable tickets.
- Passengers cannot cancel the flights if the booking and departure are on the same day.
- Refunds for canceling the flights are eligible only if the cancellation is made 3 hours prior to departure.
- In case of same-day cancellation, according to the British Airways refund policy, you are not eligible for a refund. You can take benefit of same-day cancellation 1 hour before departure.
- Under special circumstances, there will be no charges for canceling British Airways flight bookings. Those circumstances can be:
- Death of a close relative.
- Court orders.
- However, airlines suggest providing valid proof.
- Passengers can cancel the tickets both online and offline. However, there will be different cancellation charges depending on the mode they choose.
- In case of lost tickets, a passenger must inform the BA and apply for cancellation. The airline will cancel the ticket and transfer a refund amount.
- For third-party bookings, you should use the same platform to cancel the bookings.
- Passengers can get a full refund if they cancel the flight bookings within 24 hours of the booking period.
British Airways 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
Similar to many airlines, British Airways also offers the privilege of a 24-hour cancellation policy to its passengers. Under the BA 24-hour cancellation policy, travelers can cancel their bookings within 24 hours of the booking period. There will be no deduction or cancelation charges within this grace period. Thus, cancelation will be free of cost.
No matter which tickets the passenger is flying on, irrespective of departure and arrival destination, all travelers can avail of the benefit of a 24-hour cancelation policy.
However, travelers can use the following policy only if they have done booking 7 days before scheduled departure.
British Airways Avios Cancellation Policy
Avios is a reward point that a passenger can earn by joining the Executive Club Membership. For booking through British Airways, you can earn them. You can later redeem them on other bookings through BA.
However, when you cancel the Avios flight bookings, there will be extra fees.
- The service fees and cancellation fees are applicable per person per ticket.
- When you cancel a flight departing from Europe, there will be a cancellation charge of EUR 42.50. Moreover, you have to pay a service charge of EUR 15.
- In case of a flight departing from the USA, cancellation charges will be $55. There will be an additional charge of $25.
How to Cancel British Airways Flight?
There are various modes through which a passenger can cancel a British Airways flight.
- Using an App.
- Through a Phone Call.
- At the airport.
Online Cancellation of British Airways Flight
- Firstly, go to the official website of British Airways.
- Navigate to the “British Airways Manage Booking” option.
- Enter the last name and booking reference number.
- Now you can access the flight.
- Choose the flight cancellation option.
- Confirm the flight cancelation after confirming the cancellation fees.
Passengers can also use the official British Airways mobile app. They can download the app from the Play Store or App Store. They can log in to their account and follow the above steps.
Cancellation Via Phone Call
Passengers can also utilize the option of calling the airways. They can call on +1 800 247 9297 to cancel the flight.
- Call the airlines and get in touch with the representative.
- Share the flight details and request them to cancel the flight.
- Pay the cancelation charges.
- You can also query about the refund process.
BA Flight Cancellation at Airport
Passengers can also cancel the flight at the airport counter. All they have to do is to visit the British Airways desk. Share the flight details and request for cancellation. The traveler should pay the British Airways cancellation fees to complete the process.
British Airways Flight Cancelation Fees
British Airways charges the following amount as flight cancelation fees.
For refundable tickets
|Mode of Cancellation||Fees|
|Through phone call||$25|
|For non-refundable tickets|
British Airways Flight Refund Policy
If a traveler wants to get the maximum benefit of a refund, then the timing and mode of cancellation are crucial factors. A passenger can avail of a refund on bookings done through official platforms. On the other hand, for third-part bookings, they will probably have a lesser refund. A passenger can claim a refund after flight cancelation under certain conditions only.
- They will receive a full refund if they cancel the ticket within 24 hours of booking.
- The refund amount varies according to the fare class. It means there will be different refund amounts for British Airways Business Class tickets compared to other tickets.
- There can be partial refunds also.
- In some scenarios, it can also be in the form of credits.
- Passengers will also get a full refund in case of a flight is canceled by British Airways.
- Moreover, if a flight is running 5 hours late, then the passenger can request a refund.
- Passengers will receive the refund in the original source of payment.
- However, all refunds also comply with the British Airways flight bookings fare rules.
How to Claim a Refund Online?
Here are the quick steps to apply for a refund.
- Firstly, go to the official website of British Airways.
- Select the “Help” option from the top menu.
- Go to the “bookings” section.
- After that, choose the “delay, cancellations, and refunds” option.
- On the next page, choose the “refund and rebook” option.
- From there, click on the “Manage booking” option. You can follow these steps or directly reach the Manage Booking option through the main menu.
- Now, enter the flight details.
- After accessing the flight information, select the “refund” option.
- Lastly, fill out the form and provide relevant details.
- Click on the submit option to complete the process.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to get a full refund on a BA flight cancellation?
Irrespective of fare type, routes, and destination, passengers can get a full refund on British Airways if they cancel their flights within 24 hours of flight booking. There will be no cancellation charges. However, you must use British Airways platforms for flight booking. Moreover, you must have booked a flight 7 days before departure.
What is the refund policy for flights booked through Avios?
In case you have used Avios and cash both for flight bookings and cancelling the flight later, then you will receive a voucher worth the full value of the ticket price. You can redeem the voucher on your future flights. However, you will not receive any Avios as a refund.
However, you will not receive a voucher if you have an Avios Reward Flight ticket, Companion or Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings, or Reward Flight Saver ticket.
How can I cancel my British Airways flight?
You can cancel a British Airways flight through the Manage booking option available on the official website. Enter the booking reference number and last passenger name to retrieve the flight details. After accessing the flight information, you can choose the flight cancellation option.
What is the British Airways cancellation policy for illness or death?
British Airways’ cancellation policy applies to passengers having BA flight tickets. So, in the case of severe illness or bereavement, passengers won’t have to pay any cancellation fees. But to justify their claim, they have to provide valid proof within 45 days to get a full refund.