When traveling it’s important to be aware of their policies, Spirit is one of the most popular choices for air travel in the USA. The airline offers reasonable airfare prices for customers. However, Spirit Airlines’ baggage policy does not allow free check-in baggage and carry-on bags in its base fare pricing model. But the airline offers significantly fewer charges for extra baggage than other popular airlines. If you are planning to travel with Spirit Airlines, then this policy is necessary for you to understand.
This article will give every possible information there is to know about spirit airlines’ baggage policy.
Main Highlights of Spirit Airlines Baggage Policy
Here are some major points, passengers should adhere to before packing there bags.
- It is best to check in the bags when making Spirit Airlines reservations to save on extra baggage charges with time.
- Therefore, the baggage check-in prices keep increasing as you wait longer before the flight departure.
- Gate or airport check-in just before the flight departure is the most expensive because of last-minute arrangements.
- Passengers traveling on base fare can only carry one personal item.
- Personal items such as a backpack or a small purse are also applicable in the base fare as per the spirit airlines carry-on policy.
- Moreover, there is a specific size and weight limitation for baggage.
- Items of baggage exceedingly more than the standard limitations of sizes and weight are liable to pay extra charges.
- Also, the baggage policy is subject to vary for different locations.
Spirit Carry-on Baggage Policy
Spirit Airlines allows one personal item like a purse, laptop bag, and suitcase for free. Thus, according to Spirit Airlines’ baggage policy, carry-on baggage is subjected to an applicable fee.
Carry-on baggage must not exceed the following size:
- 50 linear inches, including wheels and handles.
- Should fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.
Personal item size limit
- 40 linear inches.
- Moreover, it must fit under the seat in front of the passenger.
- Personal items include a jacket, umbrella, duty-free items, and diaper bag that do not count as carry-on baggage.
Fees for Carry-On Baggage
|At the time of booking||$37|
|At airport counter||$55|
|At airport gate||$65|
Note: The size and weight limitations are also subject to vary for different regions and flights as per the spirit airlines baggage policy.
Spirit Airlines Checked Baggage Policy
Spirit Airlines has a maximum checked baggage weight limit of 45kg. Any baggage exceeding this weight limit will not be allowed on the flight. However, passengers have to pay for their checked baggage as carry-on. The baggage fees depend upon the weight and size.
- Passengers can carry 2 checked baggage with a weight limit of 18 kg.
- Maximum weight for checked baggage is 45 kg.
- For specific flights, passengers can bring 5 checked baggage.
- However, the checked baggage size should not exceed 62 inches (length, width, and height included).
Fees for checked Baggage
|1st baggage||2nd baggage|
|At the time of booking||$30||$40|
|At the airport counter||$50||$60|
Rules for Overweight and Oversized Baggage
Baggage that exceeds a weight of 18.1 kg will be considered as overweight bags by Spirit Airlines. The fees for overweight baggage must be paid at the airport counter. Thus, the fee depends upon the excess weight of the checked baggage. However, Spirit Airlines will not accept the weight of baggage that exceeds 45 kg.
Spirit Airlines consider any bag with total dimensions between 158 to 203 cm as oversized bags. There will be an oversized baggage fee of $100 per bag. Therefore, a bag that exceeds 203cm is not allowed on Spirit Airlines.
Baggage fee for $9 or Spirit Saver$ Club
The baggage fee keeps on increasing with time. The cheapest baggage fee is at the time of booking the ticket. In comparison, baggage check-in at the gate or airport desk is the costliest.
|Item||Personal Item||Carry On Backpack||Checked Baggage|
|Weight Limit||NA||NA||40 pounds|
|Size Limit||18 x 14 x 8 inches||22 x 18 x10 inches||62 linear inches|
- Baggage fee after the 1st bag keeps on increasing
|2nd baggage||$33 to $42|
|3rd baggage||$78 to $87|
- Overweight and Oversized Baggage Fee
|More than 62 linear inches||+$100-$150|
- Spirit Airlines baggage policy allows breast pumps in case of an infant without any extra charges.
- Moreover, sports equipment and musical instruments may exceed the limited size without extra charges per the Spirit Airlines baggage allowance.
Which are the Items That are Restricted When Flying with Spirit Airlines?
Every Airline has to follow specific guidelines established by TSA for restricted items on flights. It is better for passengers also to ensure that they are not carrying such items as it might lead to the cancellation of their flights.
Restricted Items as Per Spirit Airlines Baggage Policy
- Household articles
- Hoverboards and electric skateboards
- Camping gear
- Artistic items
- Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes)
- Lithium batteries
- Urns/ human remains and organs
- Windsurfing equipment
- Portable dialysis machines
- Archery equipment
- Kayak, boat, and canoes
- Incubators, boxes, and plastic containers
- Power tools
- Archery equipment
Passengers can also check the list of restricted items in detail at the TSA official website. Possession of these items can lead to booking cancellation and a penalty.
Therefore, it is advisable to check this list to ensure safe and hassle-free travel. However, passengers may contact Spirit Airlines executive at 1 (855) 728-3555 to inquire about any odd item.
Disclaimer: All information at display in this article is subject to change. The airline is not liable to send a prior notification to the customers. For more information on Spirit Airlines’ baggage policy, visit the official portal.
Is there any baggage fee when traveling with Spirit Airlines?
Spirit airline allows one personal item (purse and a backpack) to be free of cost; apart from that, the airline also has a baggage fee applicable for any bag. The fee also differs as per the weight and size of the bags.
Is there any fee for carry-on bags when flying with Spirit Airlines?
Spirit airline allows 1 carry-on bag to check in for free under personal items. However, the maximum size limit for the carry-on bag is 18 x 14 x 8. If the bag exceeds the size limit, it will also fall under checked-in bags (fee applicable).
Can a duffel bag be counted as a personal item when traveling with Spirit Airlines?
A duffel bag falls under a personal item only when the size is under 18 x 14 x 8. The main criterion to fall under a personal item category is that it fits the available space for personal items in the cabin.
Is sports equipment allowed when traveling with Spirit Airlines?
Passengers can travel with sports equipment with Spirit Airlines. Moreover, there are certain relaxations for such items in terms of weight & size as per the Spirit Airlines baggage policy.
What items are not allowed under carry-on bags if traveling with Spirit Airlines?
Any gel or liquid food items exceeding 3.4 oz are also not applicable as carry-on bags. Moreover, the TSA guidelines suggest that such items should be in a Checked baggage to avoid any spillage or more significant problems inside the cabin.